- RECs, CECs and Energy Communities under Law no. 4513/2018 can be included in: the development law as a distinct form of cooperative organization; the Law on Social Cooperative Enterprises; as well as in other programs funded by national or European resources, in accordance with state aid rules.
- The Ministry of Environment and Energy may use EU funds and National Development Program resources to support the implementation of virtual net-metering by RECs by launching programs for the installation of their photovoltaic plants and storage systems.
- The Regional Operational Programs for the period 2021-2027 may foresee resources for Energy Community projects.
- Bank loans constitute another source of funding for Energy Community projects. However, they are extremely difficult or even impossible to obtain for virtual net-metering projects; therefore, local communities that depend on these resources to support their projects are typically deprived of this possibility.
- To date, no distinct funding instrument exists for Energy Communities, such as a development fund.
|Sources of funding for energy communities in lignite regions|
|Fund||Program||Period||Total Budget (million €)||EnCom budget (million €)|
2021 - 2027
|2021 - 2027||1406||132,5|
Especially in the lignite areas, Energy Communities have access to additional national and European resources in the context of the Just Transition.
Greenhouse gas emissions auctioning revenues: national resources managed by the Green Fund, part of which is directed to support Energy Communities in lignite areas, in the context of the lignite phase-out program.
Just Development Transition Program (PDAM) 2021 – 2027: European resources channeled via the European Just Transition Fund (JTF). The beneficiaries of the program include Energy Communities with regard to projects involving energy efficiency; self-production from RES; the installation of heat pumps for heating/cooling; the construction of residual biomass plants; and the construction of small biogas plants utilizing livestock and agricultural residues.